The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Better late then never!

I came down with another cold on Friday which meant that the only time I left the house on the weekend was to do some grocery shopping. I spent the restof the weekend in bed sleeping, reading or watching Charmed on TV (it was a Charmed weekend!!!! YAY! I love that! 7 hours of Charmed a day… does it get any better???? I don’t think so!)

Speaking of Charmed, it’s the LAST EVER show on Thursday night.

I’m really quite devastated.

Anyway, I had a quiet weekend which was exactly what I needed. I woke up yesterday like someone had flicked a switch – wide awake and ready to jump out of bed & take on the world – when does that ever happen to me??? Even more amazing, I was 20 mins early to work, if that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is.

Now, I didn't get around to posting my opinion of X3 yet so here goes....


Me: We have to stay to the end of the credits – there’s supposed to be something really cool at the end.
MH: OK
(silence as we watch the never ending credits roll past)
Me: Wow – there were a lot of people who worked on this movie!
MH: Yeah, I know!!! … Makes me feel kind of bad that I’m about to bag it out now….

Concerned questioning revealed that she only wanted to bag out the way Kitty runs (fair call – I was going to do that too) and the corn factor.

Now, I probably wouldn’t make a good movie reviewer, I get totally caught up in movies as I just have way too much imagination and I very rarely get to see movies in the cinema (or even at home on DVD for that matter) so anything I get to see in the cinema is at least ‘really good’ so far as I am concerned.

Having said that, X-Men 3 …. Fucking ROCKED.

Sure there are bits where even I was sitting there wincing at the corn factor and a few times where I was left scratching my head at the holes / changes in the plot (if you ever read the comics you will know what I mean) (yes, I read a few of the comics – sh*t up), but overall, I totally rate this movie. Don't go see it if you want to be intellectually challenged - thats not what this is about. If you like your movies with much action but no blood (I don’t like the sight of blood) then kids, this is the movie for you. It might not be quite as good as X2, but hot damn!

First up - Wolverine fucking rocks – I’ll have me some of that thanks. I totally love Logan (ok, Hugh Jackman too, but I actually do like his character in this movie) and not one other mutant would use the line ‘Who’s the fur ball?’ regarding the Secretary of Mutant Affairs.

Phoenix is one freaky bitch when you stop to think about what she can do - she looks like the undead when she takes control of Jean - which is NOT how she is supposed to look(!) but its still very cool. Having said that, if you don’t read the comics, you wont already have this whole backstory in mind so you wont be upset at the changes and you’ll still be impressed. Poor Jean. *sniffle* The scenes in Jean’s house – holy mother of god! *wail* The lab scene is a bit of a turn on though, until it all gets a bit too freaky. You’ll see.

Storm… well… they still can’t get the hair right. We see a lot more of her then before. I particularly love her in the final fight scene against Callisto. Rogue annoys me for some reason, but you don’t see too much of her thank goodness. Pyro is an annoying little twat who needs to get his ass kicked much harder then he does. Iceman is actually kind of cute. :-)

Kitty runs almost as weirdly as I do – who even knew that was possible??? But I like her – a lot. I always liked her in the comics so its good to see they didn’t stuff her up on film. She’s pretty cute. Mystique – you see Rebecca naked – I don’t think anything else is going to matter about Mystique (to the guys at least) beyond that. Heh.

Magneto … God he is so cool. Twisted, but cool. 4 doses? (You’ll understand when you’ve seen the movie) He rips the SHIT out of the town. The chick who locks her car door is slightly amusing too – given what you’ve just seen, that’s going to do exactly what, sweetheart???

Prof. X made me cry. Beast looks like a character that should have his own stuffed toy out on the market until we get to the final fight and then he kicks some ass – not as much as the others, but he still does a pretty good job.

And speaking of the final fight – holy crap that was great – there was shit happening every which way you looked. Sure there will be bits where you wince but oh boy oh boy oh boy! I love big fight scenes… can you tell???? I can’t say too much more about it but holy hell the Xmen kicked some serious quantities of mutant ass!

Sentinels make a brief appearance! As does the fastball special! (Yay!) It does feel a little rushed at times and a little slow at others but it’s workable. At the end of the movie as you tally up who died and who lost their powers, you’ll have to be at least a little distraught or I don’t think you can say you are human.

The final scenes – Oh. My. God. *cries*

This is really frustrating, I can’t say too much as I don’t want to spoil it for you. In short – it’s good … Run; don’t walk to your nearest cinema kids.



*Oh - and just for Treespotter - weather on the weekend was kinda crap. Today its sunny but fucking cold.

Heh

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Dusty Admin said…

    I think X3 was great too (saw it yesterday at the Trocadero).

    Thing is, if you're a dyed-in-the-wool X Men fan and know the storylines and characters then you get a little disappointed in places but, as a standalone film or as part of the series.... brilliant.

    Someone spent a few quid on special effects!

     
  • At 10:48 AM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Dusty - I don't understand why so many people are bagging it!! I loved it!

    I shudder to think of how much they spent on CGI!

     
  • At 12:15 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Steph said…

    I haven't seen any of the xmen movies. I can't get past the fact that they were originally cartoon characters on morning telly. Gah!

     
  • At 12:26 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Ack - that came AFTER! They were originally comics!

    And did you ever see Batman or Superman??? Or the abomination that was 'The Phantom' movie?

    Are you discriminating???!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home