The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Monday, May 22, 2006

They're doing WHAT?

While reading news.com today I came across an article on the ‘quintessential Aussie words’ that Microsoft is planning to include in its 2007 Microsoft Office System.

(Sorry – still no clue how to link, but it’s not hard to find the article if you haven’t read it. Actually, can anyone tell me how to link??? This is getting ridiculous. Ta)

Anyway, Microsoft got together a ‘panel of experts’ to decide which words should possibly be included… I have no idea who the hell these people talk to that they think these words are in such common use that they should be recognized by the spell check facility, but frankly, I’m disturbed.

Does anyone actually use ‘cooee’ ??? Ridgy-didge??? Bonza (of the ‘shit hot’ variety, I presume)??? Motza???? Sheila??? or Dinky-di??? And does anyone other then Alf Stewart use the word ‘Galah’ in any fashion other then to describe a particular form of avian species? And even if you are using it to denote a particular form of avian species, how often do you actually use it unless you are a vet, national parks ranger or a bird – errr - avian watcher???? Sheesh.

I live in hope that the people who do use those words regularly are the ones that can't afford a computer.

You can vote at http://www.microsoft.com.au/ as to which words (if any) you think should be included to facilitate the further mutilation of our language.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:56 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Steph said…

    *sigh* Sometimes being an Aussie is really fucking cringeworthy.

     
  • At 4:07 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Dusty Admin said…

    And there was me thinking "cooee" was an Essex expression. Hmmmm.

    I'll send you an email about how to link to pages as otherwise Blogger'll try to use the code in this box.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Steph - I just want to know - why???????

    It's not enough that the rest of the world thinks we speak like that, now they want to encourage us to actually do it ??????

    Dusty - Is it??? I don't think I have ever actually heard anyone use that expression at all!

    And thank you! That would be awesome! I thought I had worked out how to do it but nope - I totally fucked it up.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    i'm getting my lesson from you and steph's really. toey... toey... i like toey

     
  • At 4:47 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Treespotter - Glad to be of service.

    Steph & Giggles - education on the interwebs.....

    Steph, I think we should start charging, but how do you put a price on this shit??? LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home