The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Ok, Things I love in London (may get longer)

Just for Dollop ...

1. There is always something to do.
Provided you don't mind traipsing through the rain to get there anyway. And assuming that you can drag yourself off the couch & away from your doona (I called it a duvet the other day! ARGH!)
2. My housemates - A very cool bunch of people.
Except for the couple in the room next door. (Neanderthal man &his gf)
If I never come home, it will only be because I am in jail for life for a double murder.
It wont take much - just slam that bedroom door at 5am one more time buddy boy…..
3. People watching in London.
The people are hilarious.
Either that or I just have an odd sense of humour, take your pick.
I love the English, they crack me up - most often when they are being dead serious.
4. Food
So many cultures and so many restaurants and so little time. Darn good food. Fruit is also constant, cheap & beautiful. You know they even track which farmer the fruit is from? You buy a punnet of raspberries and on it it says "Farmer xxxx, such & such a farm", and the country, the county and so forth, they'd probably give you the farmers phone number if you asked nicely. I am addicted to Raspberries and fresh cream. I do have to ask though - what other nation in the world would put peas with fish & chips???? That’s just wrong.
5. You can navigate by Starbucks.
These people love chains. They are everywhere!!!!
Not long after I first got here, I asked someone for directions (I was going for an interview) and I was literaly told 'go along this st until you find the Starbucks, turn left, go along until you find the next starbucks, go down the little side street opposite it - that’s the street you want" And when I found the particular st number I wanted, guess what???
It was next to a Starbucks……….
6. Church bells.
I went out at lunch the other day & all the church bells were ringing the hour….
Then they rang the 1/4 hour…
then they rang the 1/2 hour… and it’s a different tone to the ringing each time. It was beautiful. It's such a happy sound.
7. Everything is different.
It's a constant source of fascination for me. I really do love this city - even if I do b*tch about it.
8. The history.
Enough said. Oz can't compare with that I am afraid.
9. Cold, crisp mornings where the air stings your face as you are walking through the park and the frost crunches underneath your boots
10. Harrods - the mothership.
11. The old buildings
12. Castles i love castles, particularly going to ones I have read so much about! I love English / French & Welsh history so to get to go to these places & see where battles were fought and history was made just fires my imagination.
13. Mr Men mini-cakes - sooooooo good
14. In summer the sun rises at about 5 and doesn't set until well after 10pm - thats awesome
15. The rest of Europe is right on the doorstep
16. The sense of freedom.
I have never felt so free in all my life. I love it.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, February 01, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    OMG - I can't believe I forgot this - squirrels !!!!!!! They are just adorable !!!!! I love squirrels!

     
  • At 1:15 PM, February 01, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Sheesh - I make an effort and I get called a smart ass!!!!

    There's no work to do !!!!

    I so seriously have to get another job, I am going crazy here!

     
  • At 1:35 PM, February 01, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Hey, I would seriously kill for some work to do.

    Its been a long time since i had a job that really stretched me and challenged me (which was wonderful) but right now I would be prepared to settle for something that required me to do anything! I spend my day surfing the net and I am so bored!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, February 01, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Whats wrong with the template?

    Pffft - you should at least wait until I ask!!! Don't get cocky young man !!!!

    I hope you get dumped by a huge wave and end up with sand in lots of uncomfortable places!

     
  • At 8:58 AM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Oh please don't tell me !!! It hurts!!

    I love the beach!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home