The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Monday, January 30, 2006

Weekend - My idea of a short version ...

Fri night had a couple of quiet cocktails in Covent Garden - there is a place there that does fab cocktails - this was when we had the conversation about celeb crushes and I got into a lot of trouble because I couldn't think of more then 2 (it's the pressure!!!) left there at a reasonable hour before I got too drunk & decided to rape some poor unsuspecting man & wandered home.

Sat morning woke up at about 8 and decided that I was going to please myself & spend at least the morning in bed.

Literally.

At about mid-day I got a call from S saying that she was coming round to visit as she had some news for us, I reluctantly packed away my trusty vibe, flexed my fingers a few times to be sure they hadn't gotten RSI, uncurled my toes, pulled on a robe, washed my hands and wandered downstairs to & let her in.

S met 'the one' on Thursday night after I left the Walkabout… pity he got on a plane back to South Africa the very next day, eh??? They didn't even have sex as she couldn't (medical reasons) but he was in tears at the airport the next day when they were saying goodbye.

I shall watch with interest…

Even if it doesn't work out, at least she knows now just how its meant to feel.

All that exercise made me hungry so made up some risotto - crayfish, slow roasted pumpkin & rosemary with white wine… not something I cook when I want to eat straight away as it takes a while but it was worth the wait. (And the weight).

Wandered back upstairs, amused myself a couple more times then went & did some grocery shopping - bought another book (this time its about Welsh history).

Sat night we had a party at ours - AH has just rec'd conf that his visa has been extended so he can stay which was great news so that totally justified many drinks being taken. Also it was nice to get revenge on the neighbours who continually keep us awake until stupid o'clock with their noisy parties.

Sun morning woke up, amused myself a bit more (finally took the edge off!) until my parents called, followed by my sister, then up & got dressed & headed into the British museum.

I love the British museum, if I thought they wouldn't notice, I would move in there. I have been several times and it still holds the same fascination for me as it did the first time. Met an Italian guy there (we shall call him the Pony as he wasn't big enough to be a stallion) who I ended up having lunch with & he bought me roses - how sweet is that? Was supposed to be going to a party that night so couldn't go out to dinner with him but numbers were exchanged so we shall see if he calls. I am not calling - I never do, I'm the girl, I shouldn't have to so far as I am concerned. But if he does, I'll go, if he doesn't … meh… his loss…

Went home, started to get ready and then realised that I had fucked the dates up - the party was Sat night… oops… it was a friends farewell party who is heading back to Oz… well, more a friend of a friend really so I'm not in tooooo much trouble. Such is life.

I then did something so breathtakingly stupid that I can still only marvel at the sheer depth of insanity it revealed… I allowed my flatmates to colour my hair… just for something different….

My hair is naturally a strawberry / honeyed blonde - or at least it was, it hasn't been its natural colour in about 15 years but if memory serves & the few pics I have are accurate, that’s what it was. Don't ask me why I started dying my hair - I don't really know, probably one of those stupid school girl things - everyone else was so I wanted to as well.

For the last couple of years my hair has been a very deep chocolate brown - a true brown, not a reddish brown, not a violet brown but deep espresso / chocolate brown & I love it. Prior to that it was a deep auburn which I loved but as I love pink it didn't really go - I know some people think pink is ok with red hair but well… not the shades of pink I love…. Hence the brown…

We decided to go for a lighter shade of brown (I have been thinking about going back to my natural colour which will involve much bleaching, much loss of length & therefore, hair extensions until it grows out again) I was very wary about this as I firmly believe that the only people who should be let loose with bleach on other peoples hair are hairdressers and myself (I am not a hairdresser, but I have a lot more knowledge about it then the average person on the street).

They totally fucked it up. If they had listened to me it might not have been so bad but they didn't. At all.

I was able to remain fairly philosophical about it at first until I stopped to think about just what was going to be involved in fixing it. Sooo…

This morning I called work & told them I would be in late due to an emergency and then I called the hairdressing salon at Selfridges.

No need to discuss how much it cost (goodbye Christian Louboutin shoes, goodbye credit card limit). Thankfully she only had to take about 5 inches off the bottom so my hair is now the shortest its been in years but its not as bad as I feared. She even did a half decent job on the cut - at least she got my fringe right. The hairdresser offered to take me blonde but hairdresser or no, there was no way anyone was getting near my hair with bleach again unless they were holding a loaded gun to my head so my hair is now a delightful shade of auburn.

Sorry - that sounds a little sarcastic but its not meant to be - its actually really lovely but I am so pissed off that I let those fools do it. I am more angry with myself then them - I broke my own rule - I know better even if they don’t & its not like I couldn't afford to just go to a salon to get it done so what was I thinking ??? ARGH

The guys at work didn't really understand how a bad hair dye counts as an emergency but they eventually accepted our assurances that it really does count.

Anyway, I am going to tell myself that all is well that ends well - it's not what I wanted & half my wardrobe has just been placed off limits (thank goodness the rest of it is black) but I'm averaging 5 compliments an hour so far … all good….

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home