The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Growing up is hard to do*

As a kid, you look at adults and think that it must be so cool – it’s all cars, alcohol, nightclubs, cool shoes, great clothes, earning your own money, not having to answer to your folks and generally just being fabulous.

The rider is that there are bills, credit cards, bosses, sore feet, sore heads, speeding tickets, smoke hangovers (from the night clubs – why do they insist on running those infernal machines??) …

You never see all those things when you are a kid, but all in all, being a grown up isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

I have been doing my level best to avoid the down side of the grown up business for some time now.

Succeeding quite well too, I must say.

Yesterday, it finally caught up with me.

A little while ago (while I was in London) I cut up my credit cards, mainly because I have no self control and where shopping is concerned, I really can’t trust myself.

I have been doing really well since I came home – the only thing I have bought was a pair of jeans (Leave me alone! I didn’t have any and they are a necessity, damnit!) but the other week, it all got too much for me – I HAD to go shopping, desperately needed to in fact. I needed to so badly, I could have cheerfully killed for $500 (I wasn’t about to be picky) to spend on something - anything at all. Hell, even grocery shopping would have provided a fix.


I reordered one of my credit cards.


I called through to the call centre, told them I had lost it and could they please send me another one. They let me know when it came into the branch.


Yesterday, I finally made it to the branch to pick it up.


Last night, I took it out of my purse, admired its shiny newness, sighed and then I cut it up.


At the risk of sounding like a 16 year old, growing up sucks.




*Harder then breaking up, that's for sure.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Indiana said…

    Well done. Just imagine the fun you will be able to have in 6 months when you really are debt free.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    yup, exactly. save up babe. that way you can spend more when i come and visit.


    i think you're entitled to at least one pair of shoes tho.

    just a thought.

     
  • At 4:19 PM, December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're telling me.

    you wanna cut up my credit cards for me?

     
  • At 11:31 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Indy - it's probably going to take me a little more then 6 mths....

    TS - You coming to visit me??? When? Ooooooh - I am so in love with a pair of Pedro Garcia ones at the moment!!!! I did up a post but I cant get the pic to link for some reason (as soon as I work it out, I will be posting!)

    Kate - If you send me your cards, i will so it for you, I wont even try to use them first!!!! LOL

    Actually, I wonder if I could make a business out of that?? Running round cutting up peoples cards for them??? Hmmm....

    But try it, its scary and fun all at the same time - kind of like a theme park ride!!! That sick feeling combined with the giggles... Ahhhhhh.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home