The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sometimes I wonder….

I’d be really pissed off right now, but frankly, I’m too bemused.

There are fire alarms littered profusely throughout this building which is great – none of them are a problem except for 1, which is located in one of the kitchens, directly above the toaster….

Some idiot burnt his toast today which meant that the entire building had to be evacuated.

This raises some issues for me -

First of all our designated fire escape was LOCKED – yes, you read that correctly… we couldn’t use our fire escape because the doors were locked … and no one has a key… so, in the case of a real fire, we’ll all just burn, shall we??? Some serious safety issues right there…

Naturally, we had to go over to the other fire escape ... Now, these fire escape stairs are like no others I have ever seen before - and just for the record, I’ve seen a few and for a variety of reasons - most fire escapes are pretty bare – concrete or brick walls & steps with plain metal railings. These ones were different…. They had wooden railings and they were carpeted.

What a great idea! Lets put something flammable in the fire escape !!!!!

Now, call me crazy (OI! It was a turn of phrase!), but I wouldn’t have thought that was such a hot idea (sorry, couldn't help myself). I like to know that if I’m running down the fire escape from level 5 because there’s a fire on level 2, I’m not going to meet the flames halfway down.

Crazy crazy people.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    *LOL*

    this is a lame attempt to change the subject really. but it does reminds me of my Halls of Res, where the kitchen doesn't have toaster and we did toast in the grill. and it has a fire sensor thingy right on top.

    we have the fire brigade in on regular basis (twice a week at least), and they know everyone of us by name (well, or at least according to our relevant toast burning skill). we were called in by the police in the end and we sabotaged the fire alarm. costs me 300 quids in the room deposit.

    we had fun getting the chinese students evacuating in skimpy PJs in wee hours tho!!

     
  • At 4:20 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Dusty Admin said…

    If you're with a good-sized firm then point it out to your Health & Safety rep or a supervisor/manager.

    There are three acceptable crispies:

    Krispy Kremes, Crispy fried duck and crispy bacon. Crispy employees tend to work even less than regular ones.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Treespotter - My old work back in Oz also (oddly enough) had a smoke detector located right above the toaster (do these people not THINK when they are installing them?) and we also got to know the fire fighters pretty well.

    Some of them were actually quite hot... I wonder if thats why the girls & the gays used to burn more toast then the straight boys???

    Dusty - It's been pointed out by a few people I think, she was over here looking a bit flustered a while ago, trying to find a key to fit the door. !Honestly! *shakes head*

    And thats true about crispy employees - but nothing works less then an English employee!

    Mmmmm - crispy bacon. You are in for such a treat when you get to Oz - our bacon is much better then the shit you guys have over here!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Dusty Admin said…

    You really think so little of the UK workforce? You should try some of places I've been!

    And I never get bacon from a shop as it's complete cack. There's a local pig farm that I learned of through a chef friend that does the best pork and bacon I've ever had. That's the place to get it!

     
  • At 3:29 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Steph said…

    Buy yourself a parachute, break the glass with your chair and you're good to go.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Dusty - Yep, - I really do - they're a bunch of slackers!

    If there are places that actually require you to put in a full days work then i want to hear about them! Every job I have had since I came here has been a non-job!

    I have tried bacon from just about everywhere - anytime I see bacon that looks a little different, i buy it in the hopes of finding something I like but no such luck. When I get off the plane in Oz, the first thing I want is a bacon & egg toasted sandwich with cheese and bbq sauce!!!

    Steph - knowing my luck I'd probably break my leg or something!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home