The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Friday, May 12, 2006

WTF????!!!!!!! Who let this happen?????

A friend of mine from Oz has been emailing me some music through to listen to while at work (I download as little as possible onto my work computer) and last night they sent me through “Flame Trees” – not a particular fave of mine but I like it, especially now when I am so homesick for Aussie music.

But this was not the original version by Cold Chisel … Oh no my friends – they sent me the cover version by some chick who sounds like she’s either just rolled out of bed or (more likely) is about to climb into a nice hot bath with nothing more then a razor blade to keep her company….And frankly, I wish she would.

Putting my hatred of cover versions aside, I decided to listen to it again (GOD can you believe what I put myself through in order to be fair??!!) just to see if I was being unnecessarily harsh.

Nope, I was right the first time - she absolutely deserves to be slaughtered like the BSE infected bovine she is (BSE = Mad Cow Disease for those who can’t be assed googling it).

Seriously – have any of you actually LISTENED to this??? Actually – scratch that, I’m sure you’ve all been inundated with it until your ears bled – not that that would take too long – listening to it twice was enough to do that to me. This is music to slit your wrists to at its finest – that’s if you don’t fall asleep first, anyway. Did she actually look at the score first? Did she even see the dynamic markings and did anyone ever tell her about tone colour / timbre ???? I might just stop there – I could go on for pages about this if I’m not careful.

Not knowing who did the cover, my first instinct was to blame Missy-fucking-Higgins (there you go Puss – resisted the use of ‘fricken’ – just for you! Lol) who is surely one of the most over-rated musicians in the country but it seems I was wrong – there’s another contender for the crown – namely, one Sarah Blasko. I’d apologise for offending anyone who’s reading this if they actually like Missy-fucking-Higgins or Sarah-bloody-Blasko, but frankly, I really don’t care. Missy does get my apology for suspecting her of this and she gets points for not ruining someone elses songs (why ruin someone else’s when her own are so crap anyway) but Sarah…. Ooooh – lets not go there….

Fucking cover versions.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Nick said…

    Imitation is supposedly the sincerest form of flattery.

    Cover versions are the wankiest form of wankery. Unless performed by the original artist. Hence the term artistic licence. Or an earnest cover band - making a living out of being a cover band.

    "Flame trees" could never be sung with the same degree of passion or emotion than by Jimmy Barnes. He of the shredded throat, and shattered larynx.

    Actually I quite like both Missy and Sarah - for their own stuff...

     
  • At 3:35 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Steph said…

    Nobody should mess with Chisel songs, it's disgraceful. As for sarah fecking Blasko, i wish somebody would put her out of her misery STAT.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Nick - I'm sorry - you LIKE them????? *walks away scratching head*

    Steph - I totally agree on all counts. It would really be a community service.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Puss In Boots said…

    Sarah Blasko does have some decent stuff, but I'm with you on the cover versions. They all suck. I only just heard the Mary J Blige cover of One the other day. I very nearly ripped the entire stereo out of my car.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Ok, not having heard much of Sarah Blasko, I will cut her a *little* slack... but she still deserves some form of torture for that cover.

    As for Mary J's 'One' - I don't blame you - it's horrifying.

     
  • At 2:21 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Imelda said…

    Be thankful it wasn't Kasey Chambers singing it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home