The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Friday, May 19, 2006

Searches

I get people on this site for some strange searches – I mean, some are fairly understandable – anything involving the word ‘stiletto’ I can understand… even if I’m not too sure about the phrase ‘woman in stilettos standing on my balls’

I get a lot here looking for 'p0rn' and more the a few for 'cum', I'm baffled by the one that searched the phrase "you call this hell try road on a friday night liverpool" - I simply can't imagine what they were looking for.

Today though, I saw that someone ended up here through a search that really worried me – “Beatles lyrics good morning mr sunshine you brighten up my day”

The Beatles?? WTF ??? That was the BeeGee’s !!! How can you not know that??

Honestly!


And just because a whole lot of people seem to end up here looking to discover what the phrase ‘best laid plans of mice and men’ means / comes from and I’ve had a few emails on the subject also, I’m going to put everyone out of their misery –

The reason I picked it for the title of my blog was partly because I read the book and partly because I remembered the poem from highschool (although admittedly, I could never remember who wrote it) but mostly because my mother once said it to me when I was very young – I was in trouble for doing something (who knows what) and she was very angry and she asked me why I had done it.

Honest child that I was, I looked up at her and said “Because I thought you’d never find out, I made sure you weren’t going to be around!” … I remember her lips twitched a little (before she managed to stop herself smiling), then she smacked my bottom and said “Well let this be a lesson to you about the best laid plans of mice and men”

Needless to say I had no clue what the hell she was talking about. She did explain it to me though when I asked, which was nice considering I was in so much trouble that I was actually sent to my room (unheard of for me – to be smacked and sent to my room was harsh punishment indeed, I was never punished because I was never naughty).

I’ve remembered the phrase ever since and have found myself thinking it, sometimes wryly, sometimes with resignation, on a few occasions in my life.

‘The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry’ is a corruption of 2 lines from a poem by Scottish poet Robert Burns, written in 1785, entitled “To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough” (such a wordy bloody title, it’s normally abbreviated to ‘To A Mouse’).

The phrase was then used as the title for a novella (later a movie, an opera and a play) by John Steinbeck “Of Mice And Men”

The exact quote from the poem is –

“The best-laid schemes o’mice an 'men Gang aft agley,”

If you want to find out more about Robert Burns then this
should give you the basics, including a link to the full poem -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns


If you want to find out more about the novella then start here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steinbeck

Yes, I know that “Wikpedia is hardly a tome of academic or scientific fact” (heh!) but it’s a starting point and will give you links to more ‘official’ sites.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to being disturbed by the person who ended up here by searching for 'boy cum in my ear' ...

2 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Dusty Admin said…

    I loved "Of Mice and Men". Brilliant book. Besides, it gave Warner Brothers the idea to give the Abominable Snowman the line:

    "... and I will hug him and squeeze him and pet him and love him and I will call him George."

    Priceless.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    i told you the internet do not forget. I haven't actually read the book, will look for it. sounds interesting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home