The best laid plans of mice and men....

Gang aft agley

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What to do, what to do....

I am currently considering 3 different future career options – I have been thinking about going back to uni (and actually finishing this time) and studying to be a teacher (high school - English & History) or studying psych or law. If I do that though, it means several things –

1. I will be poor. This doesn’t work for me for obvious reasons.
2. I am very bad at organising myself – brilliant at organising other people and organising events & projects but personal organisation is something that has always managed to elude me… this may make studying difficult.
3. I need to bring it back to one choice before I can start doing anything.
4. I am currently planning to come back home, work my ass off for a year, pay off my credit cards (they are what’s killing me at the moment) and then get a working visa for Dublin & come back over for another year – I can’t study & do that.

I am leaning more towards either teaching or law. Everyone does psych these days – there’s a glut of them on the job market and I think it would end up sending me crazy listening to peoples problems all day.

Teaching … meh… kids…. I know what my friends & I were like... If I got some like us - there’d be trouble… but I always remember my grade 10 English teacher – she had so much enthusiasm for the subject that it really made a difference to the whole class. I liked that and as I love English & history, it kind of makes sense to me.

Law – it might actually challenge me. I would like that. I find it difficult to find a job that stretches me but I worry that law may be too confining.

The only job I have ever had that I really enjoyed was when I was the national rewards, recognition & incentives co-ordinator for the call centres of a fairly large Australian company. That job was the most fun I have ever had – creating competitions, measuring KPI’s, ensuring people couldn’t cheat, arranging trips, function, prizes, balancing budgets, tracking the difference it made to staff attrition & balancing that out with training costs & savings – it was awesome. It was very people oriented and quite creative which makes me wonder if law would really suit me? On the other hand….

Bah – its all too much right now… I’m going to get some Krispy Kreme’s…

5 Comments:

  • At 2:35 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Imelda said…

    Giggle - Are you sure you're not me 20 years ago? Throw in journalism and they're the 4 career choices I was weighing up at the time. I ended up deferring Law; studying English, History, Psych and Education; and doing something completely different for a job when I graduated.

    Unfortunately I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Really ?? Isn't that odd??!! I just don't know what to do!!!

    Although right now I am concentrating very hard on my Krispy Kreme... thats enough to be going on with for the moment I think....

    I think I'm just going to be a female Peter Pan...

     
  • At 11:26 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Imelda said…

    I also forgot to mention that point #2 (good at organising everyone but self) is all about ME ME ME.

    And I don't do poverty either.

     
  • At 3:59 AM, February 16, 2006, Blogger Steph said…

    lmao at "don't do poverty". Girl you sound like you should be in PR or Human resources or sumthin like that. Why uni? Like i know it's noice to have a degree and all, but frakk me if you ain't gonna be povo for ages!!

    I reckon you should clear the debt first, travel a little and then decide.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, February 16, 2006, Blogger Giggleworthy said…

    Yeah, but I'm 27 now... I'm thinking that it's probably time I started to get my shit together otherwise I will never do it !!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home